Saturday, October 07, 2006

Old Age Life

This week Boinboing made me aware of author Robert Anton Wilson's condition, which is: he has no money, has a few months left to live, and was facing eviction from his apartment.
Gladly a few days were enough to collect about 68.000,- from well-meaning people on this planet, which gives this sad story a happy turn.
It's a shame the author of works like Cosmic Trigger or Illuminatus should die in poverty! Is this the 16th century, people?

I have to admit I'm not in a situation where I could notably contribute financially to Bob's final days, but you all should be buying a few of his books quickly, so the royalties get to him in time!!

P.S.: When you browse Bob Wilson's webpage, DO check the "jokes"-page! You'll find gems like this one:
"Three Texas surgeons were playing golf together and discussing surgeries they had performed. One of them said, "I'm the best surgeon in Texas. A concert pianist lost 7 fingers in an accident. I reattached them, and 8 months later he perfomed a private concert for the Queen of England." One of the others said, "That's nothing. A young man lost both arms and legs in an accident. I reattached them, and 2 years later he won a gold medal in field events at the olympics."
The third surgeon said, "You guys are amateurs. Several years ago, a cowboy, who was high on cocaine and alcohol, rode a horse head-on into a train traveling 80 miles an hour. All I had left to work with was the horse's ass and a cowboy hat. Now, he's president of the United States."
"

No comments: