Thursday, February 01, 2007

Student Life

Among the stuff my grandmother handed down to me when I was a teenager, that belonged to my grandfather was this set of a Schnaps-bottle and shot-glasses. It was apparently part of his student fraternity paraphernalia as the little skulls rest on books on which's spine the slogan "Gaudeamus Igitur" is inscribed, the title of a song in ancient Latin that used to be (is?) popular among the members of student fraternities.
(I remember the first line from my Latin-lessons in school: Gaudeamus igitur, iuvenestum sumus - Let's enjoy ourselves as long as we are young!)

When I moved out of my parent's home 1990 I left it there (unlike this tobacco-jar), which I'm rather glad about - I'm sure every piece would have been broken twice by now.

2 comments:

bereweber said...

labels: alcohol, ha!
nice piece magnus, it reminds me of the mexican cult of the dead day art! i am sure you are familiar with it...
ha! i remember that tobacco thin box very well, where you keep some hidden treasures, ha!

good night!

magnus said...

~Dia de los Muertos~
(faint sound of castagnettes and trumpet)

yes grandpa left some useful stuff ;)